"The virtue of a camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking."
Brooks Atkinson

Friday, September 2, 2011

Feeling Like Fall

When I was driving to work yesterday, I suddenly noticed all of the gold that is starting to appear in the trees. There are a few leaves on the ground here and there, the temps are starting to dip into the 60's at night, the corn is tassled... and then my favorite time of year will be here! I used to say I loved the spring, simply because I have a spring birthday, but, as an adult, I've come to realize that spring also brings mud, unexpected frost and snow, lots of rain, and only that brief period when things are beautiful as the new growth begins to blossom. The fun of the fall can go on for several weeks! And, when we have that abrupt change from spring to summer that always seems to hit Southern Illinois, it feels even hotter since there wasn't a gradual increase in temp. Let's face it, when it is hot out, there's only so much you can take off, but when the weather cools off, you can always add a sweater, bring a blanket, sip on hot chocolate, sit by a bonfire, and start up your fireplace... all those wonderful cozy things that lead into winter. So, while I was supposed to be driving and was really looking at the trees on the side of the interstate, and thinking of all the things I love about autumn, I remembered these images that I captured in Oct '10, and decided to post them. It's going to be 90+ degrees again today, but I have hope that fall is just around the corner!





No comments:

Post a Comment