"The virtue of a camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking."
Brooks Atkinson

Friday, December 16, 2011

Sunset on Little Prairie

I was on the way home from a recent session when I passed an old country road that I have driven on probably 1,000 times. The timing was just right, as we were smack in the middle of sunset. Since I happened to have my camera with me, I impulsively turned off the highway onto this familiar country road and started snapping before I ran out of light. Although most of what I got was pretty crappy, I was really happy with a couple of my images. That happens sometimes... a burst of 100 shots might only yield 1 or 2 that are really good. But, that's ok. I'll take 1 or 2 over NONE! I'm thinking about a big canvas of the color version of the tree shot for my living room...

It felt really good to stand on the side of that road all by myself and shoot for a few minutes. I didn't really know what I wanted to capture when I stopped, I just knew that I needed to take a moment with my camera and give it a try, even though it was quickly getting dark and I didn't have my tripod in the car. I've done so much portrait work lately, which is my favorite, that I haven't really given a thought to any nature shots in over a month. I'm glad I carved out a little time for it! Maybe I should do that more often :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment